Arcade action frog - Frogger
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
I absolutely love the original Frogger arcade from 1981, however it has some flaws I want to improve upon while keeping the most important game mechanic intact. This is a work in progress, but since the game is playable you can have some fun it while I code it.
IMPORTANT: Subscribe to my feed in itch.io so you get the latest updates.
Keyboard control (on computer versions):
S - starts the game
Cursor keys to move the frog
On Android use swipe movement.
Changes to the original arcade:
- a more forgiving collision detection (the pixel perfect system from the arcade really bothers me), so if the frog "touches" vehicles by a few pixels you do not die instantly. yet, do not push your luck. :-)
- Incremental difficulty as you pass each level is is more progressive.
- No points for moving around. You get whatever points are in your time bank when you reach a goal.
- Both the road and river have a fixed set of logs, cars, crocs, turtles, etc. This allows players to have some muscle memory when the game gets faster (and it does get faster).
- Snakes on logs, some insects as bonus, crocodile appearing on the goal slots. I am not sure those really make the game better... we will see.
- polish the thing... there are some glitches to fix.
- I have some weird ideias I want to experiment with, as long as they do not ruin the game, I will probably make them optional.
Web demo (much slower than the download version and with keyboard latency) so you can see it moving: https://pls.plaureano.com/ArcadeActionFrog/
Sadly, the iOS version for iPhone and iPad did not sell enough units to justify the €100 euros Apple charges every year, so it’s out of the AppStore.
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Made with||AppGameKit, Pixelmator|
|Tags||2D, Arcade, Casual, Cult Classic, Frogs, Remake, Retro, river, Singleplayer|
|Average session||A few minutes|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Also available on
- Joystick controls added to all versionsOct 23, 2019
- IPhone and iPad versions arrived on the AppStoreOct 22, 2019
- Android version fixesOct 13, 2019
- Android version is available nowOct 02, 2019
- Making a better Frogger for the 21th centurySep 30, 2019
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Thank you for making this game. I rely Enjoyed plying your Rendition. Again Thank you.
glad you liked it! I have just seen the video. I was rooting for you to finish the level. Cars speedup afterwards.
Im glad to know that. Something to look forward too . ^